Friday, July 30, 2010

Knives 101

I earnestly submit to you the idea that nobody really needs one of those pre-determined knife sets with wooden storage blocks thrown in to the deal. If you have one, now's when you hang your head in shame. Not really. I've had one before and you may like the look of it on your counter, and that's a-okay. But if you're thinking about outfitting yourself with some newbies because you just agree with me [having some really good knives could boost the morale in the kitchen] - you might need to agree that you really only use maybe 4 in a set regularly.

So, unless you're heading off to Le Cordon Bleu you might as well save yourselves. Having 3 or 4 pretty great knives and then maybe some utility-ish extras is more than adequate for people who don't host parties in their home in The Hamptons.

And for the record, you can find less-expensive knives in the world.  I own some less-expensive knives and am happy with them. However, if I give you those options, you may never consider the real - and I mean legitimate - unmistakable - and notable difference in using a knife designed for your hand by someone who painstakingly ground the handle and blade for however long it takes to do such a thing in Japan. It doesn't have to come from Japan, I just threw that in. Still, I'm serious when I say there's something so relaxing about chopping potatoes or watermelon or pineapple or a whole pig not really with something molded by an artisan.

So, without further adieu:

The Chef's knife. This particular Shun Classic comes in 3 different lengths. You can click the link [red means link], watch a video on the Williams Sonoma site, etc.

You really probably [no, definitely] need to go hold these prior to purchasing if you don't already know what you like ahead of time.

Here's a link to a 3 piece starter kit.







This brand  (Global) is fantastic.
And that back there's a link to a 3 piece "starter-kit" as well. More women buy these knives than men and especially if you have smaller hands. They're VERY light and sleek.

Here's an individual











The Santoku knife is a great knife. Not a whole ton different than a chef's only a bit easier to break down a whole chicken, for example. It's less of a "rocking-sliding" knife you might want for mincing in the fashion our "mkay" friend demonstrated, but a great knife, no less. It's not so necessary to have both a chef's and santoku, but I really love this for larger things like sliced onions, tomatoes, quartering potatoes... that sort of thing. Global makes a great one as well. And those little "dents" ground into the blade are supposed to break the suction - minimizing sliced items from sticking to the blade as you work. I wouldn't say it's stick-proof, but perhaps does limit to some degree.


A paring knife is great for little jobs - strawberries, bananas... that sort of thing. Having 2 or 3 is not a bad idea. And going with the top of the line on these isn't honestly going to make you sleep any better. I've got this set and I really like them for paring knife jobs, but have a little paring knife made by Shun and love it as well. I even dish wash the Cutco [gasp] and they're perfectly great. And here's even a great set at a great price which leads me to the last knife.






A serrated knife is great on crusty bread, and even getting through delicate and smooth tomato skin when you want pretty slices - as some of the sharpest knives slide right against the waxy skin without even a nick. But this is even a knife that you could get away with getting a middle-of-the-road brand and be perfectly happy with, in my opinion.






You can love whatever brand you love. These are just my favorites. I have a small knife or two from Target, even, and they're fine. But, please, people - if you go spend the money on the really high-quality knives - you WILL RUIN THEM if you dish wash them. But these on the above list are really all you'll need. I have a cleaver I never use. I have a boning knife I never use... and about 3 or 4 others I never use. So, take it or leave it. But they're worth it. And if you MUST have a set, I'd tell you to buy this one or this one . So, go give some plasma and go shopping. But pack an extra juice box. You might need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment